Billy is a full-time counsellor at a family service centre in Singapore. Prior to that, he worked at the youth ministry of Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery. He is currently the vice-principal of the Pu Zhao Chan Si Sunday Class, where he conducts training and offers support to teachers and parents.
He is also active in promoting inter-faith dialogue and youth activism in Singapore (scroll down for details).
Billy is an alumnus of Manjusri Secondary School, and an active volunteer facilitator for Camp LIONS. He has a Bachelor in Social Science (Applied Counselling & Community & Welfare Work) from Edith Cowan University.
How has the Dharma benefited you?
I don’t consider myself as a successful young adult at this stage of life, as I believe there are always areas I can improved while practicing the Noble Eightfold Path in my daily life.
However when I look around my environment, I feel blessed that I am in touch with the Buddha-Dharma, like a unwavering flower in a storm. In my daily life, I see many youths and young adults struggling with quarter-life crisis, where most feel lost and disillusioned. Practicing the Dharma through the years helped me to build up my resilience. Be it my career, personal life, relationships or finances, I am aware that I am leading a more fulfilled life as compared to them.
Helping people in my profession and my volunteer work helps me to practice the six paramis, and I feel that this is also a reason why I feel more fulfilled as compared to most young adults.
What is your vision for the future of Buddhism in Singapore?
I hope we are able to inspire more Buddhists to practise.
– Organising Committee for Youth Consultation Exercise “Be The Change” (July 2011 – Present)
– Panelist Alumni in Young ChangeMakers, National Youth Council (April 2009 to present)
– Group Facilitator for National Youth Forum 2010 (October 2010 – February 2011)
– Co-Chair for Campus ChangeMakers – St Hilda’s Secondary School (January 2010 to October 2010)
– Computer Software Trainer for Silver Infocomm Junction, Marine Parade Family Service Centre (January 2009 – October 2010)
– Panelist of Young ChangeMaker, National Youth Council (April 2007 – March 2009)
– Co-Leader in Singapore Inter-Faith Youth Project – Project Encouragement (October 2008 – March 2009)
– Singapore Delegate to the Asia-Europe Youth Interfaith Dialogue in Bandung, Indonesia (June 2008)
– Singapore Delegate to the World Conference of Religion for Peace Asia Post-Summit (September 2007)
– Treasurer for Singapore Inter-Faith Youth Forum by National Youth Council (October 2006 – March 2007)
Connect with Billy on Facebook.